Happy Valentine’s Day! Today is the most romantic day of the year (speaking of which, you should probably pick something up if you haven’t already), and there are hundreds of gorgeous spots all across the globe where you can celebrate in style.
There are also some not-so-gorgeous spots you may want to pass on if you’re planning a Valentine’s Day getaway. Here, in no particular order, are some of the arguably least romantic.
- Any number of places where Valentine’s Day is banned outright, like Belgorod, Russia. The city nixed Valentine’s Day in 2011 as a “measure to provide for spiritual security,” so you’re going to have a hard time finding roses or heart-shaped candy.
- You can probably count out gazing at the stars or planning a picnic lunch in any of these most polluted cities in the world.
- If you’re looking for ambiance, you probably want to stear clear of one of the ugliest cities in the world.
- …and keep your distance from the unfriendliest cities in the world.
- The Paris Sewer Museum. This one’s kind of self-explanatory.
- Skip the Pacific Pole of Inaccessibility if you want to do…pretty much anything. As the point in the ocean that’s farthest from any land mass – a whopping 1,670 miles from anything other than water – you’re going to have a hard time finding a romantic restaurant or movie theater.
So those are some places that you probably want to avoid. But if you want to know what some of the most romantic getaways on the planet are, we’ve also got you covered!
Champagne on the beach, anyone?